ComicBooks.com Register / Loginit's free!

Pulp Fiction, 1865 · page 320 of 400

The Argosy — page 320: what you’re looking at

📖 Open the full issue in the page-flip reader →
The Argosy — page 320: Pulp Fiction, 1865

A restored page from Pulp Fiction, 1865. Page through the whole issue in the reader above.

📄 Transcribed text from this page (OCR, searchable)

Machine-transcribed from the original scan — historical spelling and the odd misread are preserved.

A Drive to the Land’s End. 299 changed to Gilbertines, was founded here before 1044, when Edward the Confessor gave the Mount, with all its buildings and appendages, to that Community. In 1070 indulgences were granted by Pope Gregory the Seventh to all persons visiting the church with alms and oblations : and then for the first time it became the resort of pilgrims. In 1471, after the battle of Barnet, John, Earl of Oxford, assembled a party of soldiers and crossed over from Wales to the Cornish coast. Under the disguise of pilgrims they gained admission to the castle, and overpowered the scanty garrison. Sir John Arundel was sent against the earl, but was repulsed and slain. The siege continued from September till February, when they surrendered on condition that their lives should be spared. In 1498 Perkin Warbeck landed at Whitsand Bay, and having been admitted into the castle by the monks, he put it into a state of defence. The Priory of St. Michael being attached to the Abbey of Mont SSS = ST. MICHAEL'S ABBEY. St. Michel in Normandy, it was seized by Henry the Fifth as an alien priory, during the war with France. It was first given to King’s College, Cambridge, and afterwards to the Nunnery -of Sion, tn Middlesex. After the Restoration it became tne property of the St. Aubyns ; since when it has not changed hands. ‘The harbour was rebuilt in 1727, and is said to becapable of holding forty vessels. The Mount is undoubtedly a more picturesque object from a distance than when close upon it: but the west rocks, which cannot be seen from the shore, are very fine. ‘The body of the hill is of granite; its northern base of slate. The entire rock has excited much geological controversy. Walking round the foot of the Mount—I think it is nearly a mile in circumference—we then climbed the steep ascent to the castle. We soon reached a platform armed with two batteries of guns, and above that a smaller platform with a battery of brass guns. The Abbey itself is not especially interesting: the principal rooms being the hall GOMIIGIoOO SS (S©) im