Pulp Fiction, 1865 · page 158 of 400
The Argosy — page 158: what you’re looking at
A restored page from Pulp Fiction, 1865. Page through the whole issue in the reader above.
📄 Transcribed text from this page (OCR, searchable)
Machine-transcribed from the original scan — historical spelling and the odd misread are preserved.
A Day at Malta. 143 years had passed, “the white cross banner of the Order of St. John had waved over many a field of strife.” The Order was made up of three classes: the Knights of Justice, the Chaplains, and the Serving Brothers. The Rector was called the Grand Master. The Order grew wealthy and was represented in many of the chief cities of Europe. It was successively established in Acre and Rhodes ; in which latter place it existed for over two hundred years. From thence the Knights were finally driven, after a desperate struggle and defence. ‘They wandered about the world for seven years, and then finally settled at Malta. In 1530 Charles V. gave the island to the Knights for ever. But other countries from time to time endeavoured to wrest it from them. In 1565 the Porte made its most desperate attack upon the island, with a fleet of 138 vessels and 40,000 men. ‘The siege lasted four months and then they withdrew defeated. Out of 40,000 men only 10,000 remained ; whilst on the side of the Knights, out of g,ooo men, only 600 were left who could carry arms. John de la Valette was the Grand Master. Conquerors, though almost destroyed, he rose to the occasion. He built a new city, which was called Valetta after his own name, and fortified the island. Other Grand Masters after him continued these fortifications, until it became one of the most renowned fortresses in the world. The Knights of St. John did much for the island. They governed wisely and well. The people were happy and prosperous under their reign. ‘This finally came to an end in 1798, when the French, under Bonaparte, seized Malta. Under their rule the inhabitants were so oppressed that at last an insurrection took place. Malta underwent the miseries of another siege ; and after two years the French were starved out and surrendered. In 1814 the island passed to the English, in whose possession it has remained. There are few traces of all these vicissitudes in the Malta of to-day, yet one feels their influence. Few ancient buildings, and no churches of any beauty or importance exist, the church of St. John excepted. The foundation stone of this was laid in 1573, under the reign of Grand Master de la Cassitre. For many years riches were heaped upon it, people outrivalling each other in the profuseness of their gifts. The exterior is surmounted by the Maltese Cross. The interior is gorgeous with every species of decoration. ‘The pavement consists of costly marbles of many colours. The altar is of lapis lazuli, enriched by gold and silver work. Heavy gold and silver candelabra decorate the altar and suspend from the roof. The roof itself is magnificently painted, displaying a succession of scenes taken from the Scriptures. The pillars between the nave and the side chapels are enriched with gilding. Above these hang a series of magnificent and costly tapestries. The crypt is called the Chapel of the Cruci- fixion, and twelve of the Grand Masters lie here, including L’Isle ECOnniCcboooks