Penny Dreadfuls, 1890 · page 123 of 364
Her Royal Lover: A Novel — page 123: what you’re looking at
A restored page from Penny Dreadfuls, 1890. Page through the whole issue in the reader above.
📄 Transcribed text from this page (OCR, searchable)
Machine-transcribed from the original scan — historical spelling and the odd misread are preserved.
HER ROYAL LOVER. 115 rapid trot of four magnificent English horses, Najeska Ivanowna was far from suspecting all that which was passing in the head of her husband. On seeing the apparent calm of the prince, she rejoiced that the tempest was allayed and that all the horri- ble impressions of the last days seemed to be effaced. Arrived at the royal palace, the ambas. sador and ambassadress were immediately intro- duced in the saloons where the court were already assembled. The palace of King Charles Ferdinand XVIII. of Thessaly was situated on Parade square. It was very large and was comprised of several bodies of buildings erected at different epochs. The most ancient part, dating from 1568, had been con- structed by King George. It embraced, among others, the imperial hall (Kaiser Saal) and the chapel of the chateau, which were both restored in 1842 in the Renaissance style. Contiguous to this wing is that which incloses the famous building crowned with numerous belfries from which, at each hour, is heard the chimes of the famous bells manufactured in Amsterdam. ‘This edifice was erected, in 1664, by Louis VI. Since that time, twenty-four times a day, the Thessalian residence has heard the music of those chimes, which vainly attempt to arouse from its monotony the little sleepy town. The more modern part of the chateau was built in 1717, in the French style. To this part a second palace was attached, called “the little palace,” a wing of the first to which it was joined by a glass gallery. Around the inclosure of this monument a wide and deep moat extended which, in its day, had been filled with water, but in which now the brush- Eomicbooks:.com